We believe that writing for an audience make us grow personally, professionally, and helps others in the process. Even if you’ve never written before, we want to help you.
We have a great team of editors so if you are willing to work with us, we can help you get published on our site.
Also, if you want to pitch us an idea to see we will publish it, that works too! My contact info is at the bottom of this page.
What we will publish
We will publish anything that helps military leaders improve as professionals or in our day-to-day jobs. These include
- Lessons learned
- How to guides
- Book reviews/recommendations
- Opinion pieces
We request that you keep post between 600-2000 words.
The team is made up of active duty service members (with demanding jobs), so response times vary. We typically try to respond within 24-48 hours to emails.
Where to submit?
Joe.Byerly (at) fromthegreennotebook.com
Below are a few articles I’ve written on the topic of writing:
A couple of tips for you:
- Make the posts short. This is a challenge. Most people aren’t looking to read journal article length posts on a blog. This is why I write between 600-2k words per post.
- Use short paragraphs. Try to stick to 3–4 sentences. If it’s more than this, the content looks too dense. Readers will give up and move on.
- Keep short sentences. As a general rule, try to avoid compound sentences. A period gives the reader a natural stop.
- Use simple words. Your goal should be to communicate, not impress readers with your vocabulary.
- Provide internal links. The best way to cite sources is to provide links in your post.